Monday, July 15, 2013

Go west, young cyclist?

almost everyone we meet is riding east to west.  it really doesn't make sense to me, unless your headed west and not coming back.  the wind blows west to east.  it makes sense to ride with the wind.  when i first came out of the mountains and hit the plains, caught the wind at my back, whoeee!   that felt good.

of course, it turns out that's not always the case.  on saturday, i was trying to make a rest area to camp in, i had ten miles to go, and suddenly the wind changed direction.  boom.  i hit a wall.  i had already rode 115 for the day.  i was tired.  riding into a 15-20 mph wind is no fun, none whatsoever.  i was slowed to a crawl.  i was sore, it hurt, and i wasn't going anywhere fast.

i finally made it to 1/2 mi from my intended stopping point when mary came by.  she offered me her home and a ride for the 15 miles to glascow.  i took up the offer of a bed, but declined the ride.  a minute after she left, i was cursing my foolish pride.  at least the headwind had changed to a cross wind, but it still took me another hour and a half to get there.  i was exhausted.  140 mi.  of course the dinner she and her husband had waiting, the beer, and the soft bed really felt good.  as did my day o rest on sunday.

checking the weather, my day of rest has caused me to miss a good tail wind today, blowing 15-20 mph.  the next couple of days are calling for a head wind again, just a little lighter 5-10 mph.  apparently, it's like that here, the winds keep changing direction.  the north dakota boarder is only 140 miles, but it's looking farther all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment